Talking “Back to Basics"

Welcome to the intro video and an excerpt from the eighteenth post of my weekly serial, “Sketches from the Café Confictura.” If you’d like to share a comment, please use the comment option at the end of this excerpt. To follow the mystery of Applewood, and get recipes from Mrs. Creaverton, writing advice from Roscoe Belesprit, and fashion tips from the Fastionista, please visit www.ClarissaJeanne.com for new posts every Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. EST.


This was what Roscoe lamented, as Clarke and Schmetly argued. For most of tonight’s meeting, the group had discussed Schmetly’s latest story, and it was rife with the same mistakes as always. Clarke had chosen one such mistake to grab hold of, and he wasn’t about to let go.

Schmetly yelled at him, “Look, ‘I’ is always more proper. I wrote a scene with two high-society types. They’re gonna say, ‘He gave the champagne to Miss Whitaker and I.’”

“Wrong, doofus,” said Clarke.

“You’re a doofus!”

Roscoe laid his head down and mumbled, “Stein had Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Benchley had Parker and Woollcott. But let history show: never was the level of discourse heightened so as when the likes of Clarke and Schmetly traded barbs.”

Clarke turned to Roscoe. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I mean, I don’t know what the hell you just said, but I get that you want us to calm down.” To Schmetly, he said, “When a pronoun follows a preposition, like ‘to,’ odds are it’s supposed to be an object pronoun: ‘me,’ ‘her,’ ‘him,’ ‘us.’”

Everyone looked at Clarke in shock.

“What?” he said. “I know things.”

Portia said, “Of course you do. It’s just after taxing yourself with ‘doofus’ we figured your brain was done for the night.”

Clarke made a face at her. “Ha-ha-ha.” He turned to Roscoe. “I’m right here, right?”

“He is indeed, Mr. Schmetly,” said Roscoe. Over Clarke’s gloating and Schmetly’s pouting, Roscoe continued: “Let’s see. Many years ago, my daughter’s language arts teacher gave her a trick to use when determining pronouns. I think she still uses it. ‘He gave the champagne to Miss Whitaker and I.’ If you take Miss Whitaker out of the sentence, you wouldn’t say, ‘‘He gave the champagne to I,’ would you? Of course not. He gave it to ‘me.’ Just as he would to ‘her,’ not ‘she.’”

“Oh,” said Schmetly, drawing out the word as understanding seeped in. “That’s a good trick.”

Roscoe picked up a pen and tapped it against the table in a frustrated, nervous tick. “This is what I mean,” he said. “I’ve tried repeating lessons on creative writing 101. I’ve had you read good literature. But some of these fundamentals are still clouded over in your minds.”

A woman had come up to the entrance of the Riverview Room, and she grabbed everyone’s attention when she said, “You always did have a tendency to skip over the basics, Roscoe.” Her lips turned up into a knowing smile.

Finally, Clarke and Schmetly, it seemed, had something to agree on. Clarke whistled low. Schmetly whispered, “I’m in love.” The woman was striking: late fifties, tall with an athletic build, dark brown skin, and streaks of gray in her shoulder-length hair.

Clarke said, “Who is that?”

“Kate Brooks,” Roscoe replied, and he returned her smile. “My ex-wife.”

  
--To read the rest of the post, please click here to go to www.ClarissaJeanne.com/back_to_basics.html, and then share your comments below--

Thoughts on “Back to Basics”? Share them below:

No comments:

Post a Comment