Talking “Dialogue Tag, You're It"

Welcome to the intro video and an excerpt from the ninth post of my weekly serial, “Sketches from the Café Confictura.” If you’d like to share a comment, please use the comment option at the end of this excerpt. To follow the mystery of Applewood, and get recipes from Mrs. Creaverton, writing advice from Roscoe Belesprit, and fashion tips from the Fastionista, please visit www.ClarissaJeanne.com for new posts every Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. EST.



While Mrs. Creaverton’s been warring with Nessie and now the Merchants Association, and Violet’s been running hot and cold on Doc Graham’s invitation to dinner (she’s rescheduled twice now), Roscoe’s had a bit of a mystery on his hands. We still had no idea who the strange man was who’d eavesdropped on his salon last week. Mr. X had lurked in the shadows, curled like a vulture’s talon over his tea. Even more unsettling than that? He didn’t just go away. He’s been circling.

Anytime Roscoe’s seen him it’s been a quick glimpse--while Roscoe’s in line at the grocery store he’ll see Mr. X dash through the sliding exit doors; when Roscoe goes out for his brisk morning walk he’ll see Mr. X walk even brisker around a corner up ahead. Each time, Roscoe calls out to the strange man, and then the man disappears. Sometimes, it seems, literally. This is how Roscoe’s been able to rule out at least one possibility of who this guy is.

“He’s not the government,” Roscoe told me yesterday over lattes and Mrs. C’s trial recipe of vegan blueberry cake.

“Why would the government be following you?” I asked.

“I said he’s not the government.”

“Yeah,” I said, “but why even consider the possibility?”

“My teaching style might be construed as anarchic at times.”

“Anarchic?” I said. “Hey, I wouldn’t put it past you to overthrow one of those blogs on writing that just regurgitates the same bad advice over and over--and, in fact, I’d commend you for overthrowing them--but I don’t think you’ve got the government too worried.”

“No?”

“Roscoe,” I said, “you’re teaching twenty-two-year-olds the difference between writing literature and writing whatever comes into their heads. No one’s going to DEFCON 1 over you.” I love Roscoe, but sometimes it’s evident that growing up with a Civil Rights activist mom who saw the shadowy side of government took its toll.

“Sure,” he said, “because those in power have never tried to silence literature or teachers of it.”

Well, okay. He had a point there.

He added, “Then there’s my ex-wife.”

“You think she’s worried you’ll overthrow the government?”

“She wishes I would.”

“I don’t think I knew you were married.”

“Oh, yes. It was a civil separation. I saw her at our daughter’s wedding a couple years ago. She left me because I wasn’t politically active enough. She’s been on more than a few lists, I’m sure.”

“I see,” I said. “Well, then, in that case how do you know this guy isn’t from the government?”

Roscoe shook his head as he sipped his coffee. “He’s too quiet. They like there to be a to-do when they take in a rabble-rouser,” he explained. “My mother taught me that. Rather, those who arrested her, gave her trouble with the IRS, harassed her, they taught me that. They make a show of their strength. Making a to-do gives the public a sense of security, whether it’s really there or not. ‘We’re looking out for you, we caught the bad guy.’ At the same time, they can deepen divides in the masses. Inevitably, some will side with the activist, some against him. It benefits the establishment to make a show of their arrests. I’m fairly certain that’s the only explanation why Cops has been on the air for so long.”

“The government does like its secrets, though,” I said. “They’ve got their dark corners.”

“Yes,” he said. “But those corners are so dark, few people know they’re even there. Those operatives don’t chance coming out from the shadows to get you. They pull you in.”


--To read the rest of the post, please click here to go to www.ClarissaJeanne.com/dialogue_tag_youre_it.html, and then share your comments below--

Thoughts on “Dialogue Tag, You’re It”? Share them below:

No comments:

Post a Comment