Talking “Taking the Steak Out”

Welcome to the intro video and an excerpt from the fifth post of my weekly serial, “Sketches from the Café Confictura.” If you’d like to share a comment, please use the comment option at the end of this excerpt. To follow the mystery of Applewood, and get recipes from Mrs. Creaverton, writing advice from Roscoe Belesprit, and fashion tips from the Fastionista, please visit www.ClarissaJeanne.com for new posts every Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. EST.



Mrs. C rolled down her window and said, “Terry McQueen.”

“Ah, no, ma’am,” the police officer said. “The name’s Harry Foster.”

She said, “Dear, I know you’re not Terry. I meant you remind me of him. Surely this isn’t the first time you’ve heard that.”

“I don’t think I know who that is, ma’am.”

Mrs. C bopped herself on the forehead. “That’s right. I always forget. He used to tell me he liked the way I called him Terry, but mostly he went by Steve.”

I said, “Steve McQueen? Like, Magnificent Seven, Great Escape Steve McQueen?”

“He had this dimple…” She giggled, ducking her head. “I won’t ask you if the resemblance goes that far, though.”

Officer Papillon was trying not to smile. “Uh, this here’s a no-parking zone,” he said to Violet. “You’re going to have to move the vehicle.”

Mrs. C interrupted: “We can’t do that right now, hon.”

“Oh,” he said, “broke down? We can call a tow for you.”

“We’re just having a little lunch,” said Mrs. C. “Would you like some? I’ve got more bowls.”

Foster shifted his belt. “If there’s no problem with the car, you’re going to have to move along.”

Violet tried to agree. Mrs. C said, “Harry Foster! Of course. How’s your mother doing with her hip? You know, a plant-based diet can help bone strength, even in older adults. I’ll be happy to stop by this week with some of my newfound advice.” Then she said low, her eyebrow lifted, “It’d be a shame if she fell and broke it again.”

Foster took a moment, and then nodded. “I’m gonna need you all to step out of the vehicle.”

“For what?” cried Mrs. C.

“You just issued a threat to an officer, ma’am.”

“Threat?” she said. “No, no, no. That was a bribe, man. You let us go, I’ll help out your mom. Don’t you know your threats from your bribes?”

“So you were trying to bribe an officer?”

“Exactly.” She smiled with relief.

“Yeah. I’m gonna need you all to step out of the vehicle.” He waved at his partner to join him from the car.


--To read the rest of the post, please click here to go to www.ClarissaJeanne.com/taking_the_steak_out.html, and then share your comments below--

Thoughts on "Taking the Steak Out"? Share them below:

No comments:

Post a Comment